Thursday, August 25, 2016

White Ripple Community Band August 22nd, 2016

Rich says this week we have songs guaranteed to dissatisfy everyone: folks who like Song 1 are bound to dislike Song 2 and vice versa. I say, why hate one or the other when you can hate both?*

Song 1: Two Princes, by The Spin Doctors. I didn't realize until I started to play this one how weird the cadences were. The chords were C, Am, G, and F ("50s chords," as Tom pointed out), but we found while playing that the song really starts more on the A minor chord than anything else. This unexpected-ness, that little bit of novelty, it must've contributed to its popularity. That and the scatting.





Song 2: Shenandoah by the very prolific Traditional. (Almost as prolific as Anonymous.) Here's Pete Seeger singing it off his excellent Smithsonian Folkways recording American Favorite Ballads volumes 1-5. If I know any verse of an American folk song, it's probably because I heard Pete Seeger sing it to me. If you get a chance to go to Simon's Tavern in Andersonville, check out the Steven Hashimoto Quartet/Quintet/Sex-Sept-Octet on Sunday nights sometime; it surprised me to hear a jazz band cover a folk song, and they do such a beautiful job with it.

 

White Ripple Community Band (along with a whole bunch of other open-miccers) is playing at Susan and Wanda's wedding this Saturday at Tinker's Attic. We've been practicing and are looking forward to sharing in their happy day with all of our friends.



*I'm partial to Song 2 but I like both just peachy.

No comments:

Post a Comment