Thursday, August 18, 2016

White Ripple Community Band August 15th, 2016: Little, Big, Yellow, Wonderful

I made a really amateurish mistake in one of the videos I posted to YouTube earlier this week; namely, I mistook up from down on the neck of the banjo. (That's probably why Romeo Katt was yelling at me.) My only excuse is that someone replaced my perfectly functioning brain with scrambled eggs this week. Scrambled eggs are delicious, but they don't exactly fire on all cylinders.

So here's a picture I made for myself demonstrating the difference. It's not exactly what you'd call drawing but it gets the basic idea across:

 
 
 
 
Song 1: Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell. In 2007, Joni changed the line from a dollar and a half just to see 'em to an arm and a leg just to see 'em to keep up with inflation.
 
 
 
Song 2: Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton. Written for Pattie Boyd. If you get a chance, check out Boyd's biography Wonderful Tonight, which is the thing to read if you want to experience swinging 60's London through the eyes of a genuine It Girl. The book includes a photo of a rather intense looking Eric Clapton in the pursuit of his best friend's wife, which is great if you're as much of a fan of awkward moments as I am.
 
 
 
Song 3: Little Brown Jug, written by Joseph Winner and played here by the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Probably the happiest song about alcoholism you'll ever hope to hear. I got so caught up in the 'ha ha ha's' and 'ho ho hee's' that I had absolutely no idea which verse we were on... which then made it awkward when Rich suddenly yelled, "Mary, you're up!" and I had no idea where we were. But I'm a fan of awkward moments, as you now know.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment