Wednesday, April 27, 2016

White Ripple Community Band bonus: The Anti-Garden Song

White Ripple Community Band played The Garden Song last week, as a tribute to the spring which I know will arrive in Chicago sooner or later...anyway, as I was jotting down the lyrics from my copy of Rise Up Singing I saw the words to (what else) The Anti-Garden Song.






I like to think that The Garden Song is how we feel about our carefully tended flower and vegetable beds in May, and The Anti-Garden Song is how we feel about the same weed patch come late August. Enjoy!


The Anti-Garden Song: A Parody
Written by Eric Kilburn


CHORUS
Slug by slug, weed by weed, my garden’s got me really teed
All the insects love to feed on my tomato plants
Sunburned face, scratched-up knees, my kitchen’s choked with zucchinis
I’m shopping at the A&P next time I get a chance


The crabgrass grows, the ragweed thrives, the broccoli has long since died
The only things left still left alive are some radishes & beans
My carrot plants are dead and gone, hear the rabbits sing a happy song
Until you’ve weeded all day long you don’t know what boredom means


You get up early, work till late, watch moles & mice get overweight
They eat their dinners on a plate from the hard work you have done
As ye sow, so shall ye reap, but I smell like a compost heap
I’m gonna get that lousy creep who said gardening was fun

No comments:

Post a Comment