Thursday, March 31, 2016

White Ripple Community Band March 28th, 2016

Rich was away this week visiting his folks, so it was just little ol' me in charge last night. It'll take him years to undo the damage.

Song 1: Wagon Wheel, covered by just about everybody. Here's Darius Rucker putting in his two cents.



Aside: I love how this song stirs up such passionate feeling. People either love it or hate it. Most musicians hate it because it's been done to death... and yet the same five songs break out in any jam, whether it's Soldier's Joy, June Apple or Sweet Home Chicago. I am puzzled as to why it's so beloved but I don't mind it, that's because I'm saving my hatred for Achy Breaky Heart. God, I hated that song-- they played it every 15 minutes at the restaurant I worked at in college. And then he went and spawned Miley and gave us another decade of misery.


Song 2: Good Time Tonight by Big Bill Broonzy. I was first introduced to this song by the excellent Pickin' Bubs out of Chicago-- Monday's version is closer to the Big Bill version.


As you saw, I had quite a time getting my versions straight! But we got to learn a fun tune while we tried the blues chord progression again, this time in the key of D.

Next week is the closest we'll ever come to mandatory, as it's the last class before our free concert at the Hammond Public Library. Class members, have your song suggestions ready so we can construct a set list! See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment