Monday, March 28, 2016

White Ripple Community Band March 21st, 2016

Last week we covered What I Say by Ray Charles, a great example of blues in the key of A:

 
 
 
We talked a bit about chord progressions in the last blog entry so you can visit that if you're curious. In the key of A, A is the I chord, or our home base. D is the IV chord, or 4 steps up from A. E is the V chord, or five steps above A, our home base I chord.

Basic blues chord progression
I     I      I     I
IV  IV   I     I
V   IV    I    I

Once you know the progression and you know the I chord-- Viola! -- you just unlocked the secret to about eight gazillion blues songs. It's not the only blues chord progression-- there are fancier ones with more bells and whistles-- but this is the blues at its heart and it sounds great. We're going to talk about adding a few more frills to the blues in tonight's class.

And then after class, Angela Leimer stopped by the gallery to take our picture. We're going to do a free concert at the Hammond Public Library as part of National Library Week (that's why the books). The concert will in the library's Community Room on Monday, April 11th. The show starts at 7 p.m. Bring your friends! 

        
Angela is available for hire for all your photography needs-- message her on Facebook if you wish to hire her, and please do. We are posing in front of Dawn Diamantopoulos's paintings. She is the featured artist through April at the White Ripple Gallery. I hope you get a chance to see her work, either during the gallery's open hours or at their monthly Second Saturday event.


No comments:

Post a Comment