Friday, February 26, 2016

White Ripple Community Band February 22nd, 2016



WRCB is for adults, but hey, adults have kids. Cool kids, who hang out with us band members and play pianos and tambourines and musical saws. Have fun, no running, and don't cut yourself playing that chord.

Last Monday we welcomed a new player and a brand new instrument: Kody, I apologize in advance for misspelling your name, but am so happy to have you and your violin in the band! We played Groovin' and Crystal Blue Persuasion to introduce our newest band member into the mix. It may be the first-ever guitar-banjo-violin- musical saw-tambourine combo-- I just wish I had a recording of it. Next time.

We played Jamaica Farewell after we got nice and warmed up. Jamaica Farewell is a traditional song, but most of us (myself included) associate it with Harry Belafonte. And when I think of Harry Belafonte, I also think of the civil rights movement and all he did for it. Mr. Belafonte could be reliably counted on for financial support, playing benefit concerts and lending a hand wherever he could. He is one of the good guys.




At the end of class I handed out melody notes for the song. The song is in the key of C, and the melody notes can be found in that scale: C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C-- no sharps or flats. I've talked before in class about how the melody is within the chord; it so happens that the melody is in the scale as well.

Yeah, that's great Mary, but where is the scale?  You'll see on Monday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment