Tuesday, January 12, 2016

White Ripple Community Band January 11th, 2016

The weather they threatened us with on Saturday, it finally arrived last night. Thank you to everyone who braved the drifts to make some good music!

First song-- Find Love by the band Clem Snide. I first heard it sung at a party a couple of years ago and I knew I had to learn it for myself, so I pulled out my phone to make a recording. It's got just the right amount of sweet and strange to my liking.

Second song-- By Myself by Big Bill Broonzy and Washboard Sam. Nice blues in A. We practiced doing it straight(ish) and then with The Bo Diddley Beat.

Third song-- Catch the Wind by Donovan Leitch. Heads-up: the one you hear in the clip is in a different key than the one we learned last night. (We did it in C.) Get the tune into your head, but don't stress when you sound different from the recording.


David Bowie left for the mothership on Sunday, and my memories keep going back to December 2014 when I got to see the Museum of Contemporary Art's David Bowie Is exhibit. (Twice. Had to.) Being around that much freewheeling strange can't help but make you happy. I'm sorry that he's gone, but that thing we most connect and respond to, that creative essence, the thing that makes us feel wonderful, that we get to share for always.

No comments:

Post a Comment